- team USA performed the classic inspirational comeback win, and more than a few times, to reach the top of their group and the round of 16.
- broadband is in 65% of homes. One can watch the action free if you have AT&T DSL, on the internet.
- mobile has become to us now, what ball point pens were to us during the 80s. An accompanying suite of applications to keep us all "connected" has helped unify our interests and emotions. These applications Facebook, Twitter, Yahoo, Gmail need no mention.
- Consumerism and the global middle class sector has compelled advertisers and sponsors to join with FIFA and bring this revenue-generating spectacle to us. TV networks including ABC in the USA show it for free.
- Time zones fit well. 9 am, 1:30 pm and 2:30 pm in the USA especially on weekends - though not prime time - is convenient.
- Wars are tucked away and forgotten. American troops are dying in Iraq and Afghanistan, but this succession of presidents, Obama and Bush have ensured that their pro-Islam stance has led the American people to become confused and deceived over what we are fighting, and why we are fighting. As a columnist wrote in the Washington Times, people paid more attention to whether the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico would kill sea life, and ignored the fact that 7 troops died in Afghanistan on that same day.